Old 15-10-2013, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default OT - sort of

On 2013-10-15 15:00:19 +0000, Jake said:

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:29:37 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

We're looking for a reliable courier who would deliver plants within
the EU. Many refuse to handle plants because of all the risks involved
with damage or delay. If anyone happens to know of such a company I'd
be very glad to hear of it. will get
emails to me.

DHL quote 1-2 days for delivery within the EU. Their max parcel size
is 120x80x80cm. In the past they have handled plants (I can't speak
for today though and IME the plants were dormant) and you may need to
open an account with them rather than be a "casual customer". IIRC
their prices start at around £35 a parcel and may be calculated by
volume rather than by weight - a large light parcel may cost more than
a small heavy one.

I would worry a bit as international handling will probably be worse
than within-UK handling though. You may need stronger boxes!

Actually, I've had a really helpful email from an urgler which has
crystallised our thinking about this, if we're going to do it at all.
We would send out only 9cm pots in spring or autumn. This would mean
more plants and lighter parcels and also that plants wouldn't be
travelling in the hottest (we hope!) parts of the year. It has
surprised us that we get fairly frequent enquiries from abroad. I say
'surprised us' because given the climate in e.g. Majorca and other much
warmer places, it's amazing that some of the things we grow aren't
being supplied by Nurseries in those countries. Some years ago, we even
had a garden designer from Madeira buying things here which were
supposedly native there but which he couldn't find there!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com