Old 18-10-2013, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] andymhancock@gmail.com is offline

Default Storing unripe uncut avocado in fridge: In plastic bag?

Googling reveals a variety of answers, but the 10,000 foot view seems to be to store uncut unripe avocados in the fridge for upto a week. Whether to store them in tightly sealed plastic bags or the fruit bin is not clear. I tried the plastic bag, but a film of condensation seems to build up, and I'm not sure if this is the cause of the problem that I'm seeing. The wetness seems to create swaths of darker green on the avocado.

The problem occurs when I take the avocado out to ripen it in a paper bag on the counter. It never really seems to tender up, and the dark green spots turn into dark brown spots that are softer than the rest of the avocado. When I cut it, the flesh has a grayness that is pronounced at the core and emenates outward. Ugh, into the garbage it goes.

Thanks for any advice.