Old 18-10-2013, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default corncob!

On 2013-10-17 17:54:17 +0100, filippo maria boni said:

Il giorno giovedì 17 ottobre 2013 18:36:06 UTC+2, Chris Hogg ha scritto:
On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 06:43:16 -0700 (PDT), filippo maria boni

wrote:

hi, i want to seed (in a little part of my garden) corncob. how can i
do? thanks in advace

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow...o-Z/Sweet-corn

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.

Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

thanks for the link

I asked an American friend who has lived in Italy for many years for
her advice and she replied:

"If he means edible sweet corn, he needs to find the right seed. The
directions will be on the packet, but it is important to plant a block,
not a single long row, because otherwise it can't pollinate. Then as
it starts to grow, you need to hill the soil up a bit, eventually
reaching about 20-22 cm. The next hurdle for an Italian is picking it
young and not letting it get mature and starchy. This my neighbors
never get. Start checking by cracking a small portion of the husks
just when the silks start going brown at the end, and don't let it get
all the way brown."
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com