Old 21-10-2013, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Potatoes will not cook properly.

Jeff Layman wrote in
:

On 18/10/2013 16:58, Baz wrote:
My main maincrop, Maris Piper will remain hard no matter how long I
boil them.
I have some other varieties that are OK. but I have loads of Maris
Piper. I don't suppose there is anything I can do about it. It is
going to be a huge waste.

Some people on the allotment are going to store theirs hoping that a
bit of coolness or whatever might sort it.

Should I write them off? Or store them in the unlikely event that
this would fix them.

Cheers
Baz

Try grating them and turning into potato cakes or Rösti. Maybe try
them as hash browns.

Rösti works, and I have never tried it before. Very nice when fried and
then grilled with cheese on top then tomatoes. Yum.
I'm glad I started this thread, I was going to compost them.

Also, what happens if you microwave them (spear with a fork in several
places first!)?

The microwave does not even touch them after 5mm deep. Then the skin goes
hard after a bit more time, and the rest is solid.
I know to spear with a fork in several places first, I had a mini-explosion
years ago. Took me ages to clean up the inside the microwave afterwards

Thanks, Jeff, for your ideas, much appreciated.

Baz