Old 21-10-2013, 09:00 PM
GrasshopperSean GrasshopperSean is offline
Banned

Location: Waltham

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gatley View Post
Hi Guys,

First time on here so I will get straight to it.

Basically I have just moved house and currently on the back there is just trimmed down weeds, they were about hip height but before I moved in they were cut back to ground level, I want to level the ground and put new turf down in the spring.

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to gardening, and I was thinking I would start by killing all the weeds off, then hire a rotavator to get the soil up, lay down top soil to get it level and then leave it over winter to ensure all weeds were dead. Then lay the new turf in the spring.

Your opinions and tips would be greatly received! Does it sound as though I'm on the right lines? What is the best way to get my current 'garden' ready for laying new turf? What is the best way of laying new turf?

thanks for your help people!
What is your soil like. ie. heavy clay, sandy?