Old 21-10-2013, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Projecting plant pictures

On 19/10/2013 17:54, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 18/10/2013 08:42, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I need to change to digital projection, I occasionally give talks to
garden clubs and have a slide projector but have found it increasingly
difficult to get hold of the slide film so last year bought a DSLR
camera, very pleased with the pictures but at present I can't use them!

[snip]

I'd aim for full HD 1080p if buying new these days.

My question is, does anyone here use the cheaper LED projectors and is
the picture quality OK? (ie does it compare with an old fashioned slide
projector)

I suppose I normally project onto a 5' square screen and can chose the
distance, normally evenings so I don't need to project in bright light

The other thing to look out for is local voluntary groups who can make
projectors & OHPs available to hire/borrow for educational talks.

Many thanks for all the replies, I have decided to go for something
fairly modest price wise on the grounds that a lot of the bigger clubs
do seem to have their own kit, so I just need something here to practice
with! and that should help with the bulb life (using someone else's!!)

I also think I have found somewhere I can go see some projected images
(mine) on various projectors which should show me just how much
resolution or lack of it I can put up with.

The other thing it is worth treating yourself to is a combined magic
dongle and laser pointer that makes next slide and previous slide easy.
It is a big improvement on saying "next slide please" all the time.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 720p these days. Also check the
performance on the sort of material you intend to project. They will all
do skin tones really well but some may be a bit vague usually along the
line of purples where many flowers are clustered.

No conventional colour film could reproduce the true saturated
purple/magenta colour of Notocactus Ubemannianus flowers reliably.
Digital is better but they still dump residuals in the line of purples
so as to get critical flesh tones optimal. The eye is very sensitive to
abnormal flesh tones or colour casts which may indicate disease.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown