Old 26-10-2013, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default jack frost

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

we've had a few light frosts up until now, but
the weather was trending well above average.

No frost here, yet. So far, we're well within the norm for this
time of year. Days are still in mid-80s but nights are cooling
somewhat. Some years, we have light frost by U.S. Thanksgiving but as a
practical matter, I don't expect any before January or even February.
However, that doesn't mean overnight lows won't get unpleasant for
eggplant, summer squash, peppers, basil and the like.

Eggplant have just about had it; yellow squash and cukes are coming
on nicely; jalapeƱo peppers abundant. Latest harvest recently was a
bumper crop of shield bug nymphs on the peppers. Now, I'll be able to
pretend to have reduced their number somewhat next summer ;-)

we've taken some hard frost hits here lately, and
even a bit of s.n.o.w. at times when i've been out
or yesterday when we ran into town to run a few
errands and get a bite to eat. looks like the peas
survived. that and turnips are about all out there
that is left and edible. just a few beans left to
pick and i'll call it quits for the season. if it
is an inside day tomorrow i'll be sorting beans and
Ma will be making more apple sauce.

this week we'll be below average and have some
30F forecasts for a few nights with chances of
rain.

nice day out there now, time to get back out
and dig, but first i have to do the fall crawl
under the house to close up the vents. other-
wise we're heating the outside each time the
furnace kicks on.

My fall ritual is replacing the CFLs with incandescents. DW
prefers the "warmer" color and we use them to moderate interior temps in
the hovel early in the season. However, the increasing expense of
electric power may induce me to start using wood a bit sooner than in
past years.

we have quite a few incandescent lights here in track
lighting that get used just a few times a year, so i've
not bothered to replace them. they do have warm light
CFLs. some year it will make sense for me to replace
them, but until then they collect dust more than anything.

i hope folks in Aussieland NSW are being
careful and keeping safe.

I'm wondering whether any r.g.e denizens are at risk from the bush
fires that are making the U.S. news. 'Spose I could simply ask, eh?

yea...

songbird