Old 27-10-2013, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Minimum Spacing Between Plants in Photinia Hedge

On 10/25/2013 11:43 PM, W wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 10/25/2013 7:50 PM, W wrote:
What is the minimum spacing you can use between plants in a hedge made

of
Photinia Red Robin? I want to be aggressive about this and I want to
maximize the density of the hedge. I am willing to have the health of
individual plants be sub optimal if that means the hedge overall will be
denser.

'Red Robin' appears to be a variety within P. fraseri, about half the
size of the usual 'Birmingham'. Since 'Birmingham' can grow 10-15 feet
high and equally wide, that would make 'Red Robin' 5-7 feet high and
again equally wide. Thus, I would not plant them closer than 3 feet
apart.

If spaced them very tightly - say one foot or less - what would happen?
The roots would interact in a way that might kill the plant?

Thanks for the other ideas on aligning adjacent rows. But I do wonder in
that case if you would end up starving one side of each row of sunlight.

If they are too crowded, they will not grow as full. Growth between
them will die because of too much shade, shade from adjacent shrubs.

Spacing them 3 feet apart should allow sufficient sun for a continuous
hedge. After all, 'Red Robin' only grows about 5 feet wide, leaving
only about 2 feet of overlap. You do need some overlap to create a
dense hedge. However, you might ask at a local nursery (not a lumber
yard or hardware store) about spacing them 4 feet apart, leaving only 1
foot of overlap.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Where does your elected official stand? Which
politicians refuse to tell us where they stand?
See the non-partisan Project Vote Smart at
http://votesmart.org/.