Old 27-10-2013, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] gus.overton@gmail.com is offline

Default Ripen Green Tomatoes?

On Friday, October 25, 2013 6:36:05 PM UTC-4, David Hare-Scott wrote:
wrote:

why newspaper? I had forgotten, but my dad used to do that. In a

mostly dark, dank basement... Who is the patron saint of tomatoes

ripening?

do ripe bananas work better than other ripe tomatoes? I suppose

ethylene is ethylene and does not matter.

why can't the tomatoes touch? They do on the vine.

The idea is to reduce problems with fungus by soaking up any moisture and
allowing air to ciculate. Promoting air ciculation on the vines is
beneficial too.

thx... doesn't putting them in a paper bag ripen them faster, the ethylene... using paper rather than plastic, absorbs some fungus amongus?

is it ok if they touch in a paper bag?