Old 28-10-2013, 10:04 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
On 25/10/2013 16:08, Martin wrote:[color=blue
I don't recall ever finding wild ripe figs up here in North Yorkshire
and there are plenty of mature fig trees with big unripe ones on.

We just don't get enough sun. You might stand a chance some years in the
London heat bubble or the extreme south but I reckon it is borderline. I
do have a Brown turkey fig but it never has useful fruit. Its
predecessor was killed in the same winter that did for my tree fern.
I'm on the border of North Yorkshire, 400ft above sea level, and get a useful crop every year gtom an outdoor fig, ripening mainly in September and October. Brown Turkey of course - the fig a friend in the ALgarve gave me really doesn't like Yorkshire weather, despite overwintering in the greenhouse.

And the Sheffield figs give good fruit, don't they? (I know that's a lot further south).