Old 29-10-2013, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Taters ...and garlic

I planted some Yukon Gold taters last summer , and they didn't do diddly -
maybe because I planted them kinda late . The rows are well defined , so I
can avoid that area when I till new ground for next year - the question is
should I leave them and hope for new growth and a crop next year or just
till 'em under and try again ? I did dig a little and found a few very small
potatoes , but nothing I felt was worth harvesting .
Also , is this the right time to get garlic in the ground for next year ?
As much as we like it I'd like to have some out in the garden , and try out
using the scapes . note to self , get some daffydills for the wife this
fall!!
I'll be expanding the garden space next year down hill some more . The
soil further from the edge of the woods seems much more fertile if this
year's results are any indication , and while I'll lose part of the
blackberry patch I feel the trade off is worth it - those berries grow wild
all over the place up here and they're a bi**h to pick .
--

Snag