Old 30-10-2013, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Taters ...and garlic

Derald wrote:
"Snag's Shop" wrote:

If the deer cooperate I'll be supplying some of the protein too ...

Remember that the girls -- the younger the better -- are the best
eating and reducing their number is the _only_ reasonable way, aside
from starvation or poisoning, to reduce the deer population. Some
authorities estimate that east of the Rockies that population now
exceeds what it was when Europeans arrived on the continent because
"development" has eliminated their predators while providing habitat
in which the deer thrive and current misguided hunting laws, promoted
by hunting interests in the first half of the 20th Century, simply
compound the problem. In several Southeastern states (Texas, for
example), the whitetail population is now in the millions. Don't be
"sporting" and waste your time and bullets on Bambi or his daddy;
shoot his mamma at night when the gettin's good! Same goes for feral
hogs: Shoot Petunia and don't waste your time on tough, greasy,
gamey Porky Pig. That "sportsman" bullshit is for city folks who go
to the woods to drink, tear them up with their pick'em-up trucks and
to get away from their wives. In my view, their time would be better
spent planting trees, a task easily accomplished while tipsey and at
far less risk....

http://wildlifecontrol.info/pubs/Doc..._factsheet.pdf

https://web.duke.edu/nicholas/bio217/ekc7/deer.htm

I'm not a horn hunter , I'm in it for the meat . If a big buck walks in
front of my sights , I'll pop him - if nothing else he'll make good jerky .
But as you say , the younger the better , and I have no qualms at all about
shooting does . Feral pigs are in our general area , but none close to our
place . I'm trying to find a place to hunt them too ... we like pork .
Oh , and we already have about 12 million trees on our place , only place
left to plant any is the space cleared for our house , garden , etc .
--
Snag
But night hunting