Old 30-10-2013, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag's Shop Snag's Shop is offline

Default Taters ...and garlic

Derald wrote:
"Snag" wrote:

Bottom line is there better be a good fence .

No doubt, he's correct; the proverbial word to the wise, I'd guess.

One of my neighbors has built an 8 foot fence
around his garden because they kept jumping over the 7 foot one .

That's funny. I'd always heard that a 9-foot fence is required to
keep deer out but that's probably apocryphal. Not a problem he
Although we occasionally see deer sign in the driveway and along the
fenceline adjacent the "hard road", I've never had a problem with deer
in the garden in the 30-some years I've been coming to this location
or in the 18 (included in the 30) that we've actually lived here full
time. Of course, now that I've jinxed myself, that'll probably change.
Bunnies, though, occasionally will nibble the terminal buds out of
a few young pea vines but nothing serious (yard cats). I'm
philosophical about that sort of thing, though, and just accept the
nibbles as a tax I pay for invading their stomping grounds. I have a
hard time with that "dominion over all things" stuff. But, then, I've
never had a garden devastated by invaders, which might change my
attitude somewhat.

The deer here in North central Arkansas breed like rats ... and will eat
everything they can get to especially in a dry year when their natural
forage is skimpy . Last year was wet , might be part of the reason they
stayed away . Our half-coyote dog might also be part of the reason , though
they don't seem put off by her scent around the corn I put out by my game
camera legal to hunt over bait here .
--
Snag
out in