Old 31-10-2013, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Walnuts

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 23:19:37 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some today.

Two weeks age we had to get two new tyres for our car so, as usual, drove
down to Micheldever Station (the worlds busiest tyre shop). We then went
into Stockbridge and had lunch at the White Hart. Next to where we parked in
their Car Park (the one round the back) was a young Walnut tree and there
were walnuts on the ground so we picked up some. Beautiful, so different to
the dry things one normally buys.
Are there no squirrels in Stockbridge

Don't know about squirrels but a couple of decades ago or more the
Stockbridge bobbie found a Hippopotamus one night. his daughter was a
barmaid ,in the Vine ISTR and told us all about it the next day.
Apparently when reporting into Andover about his find there was some
disbelief and ribbing so as it was just a calf he loaded into the van
and took it there where it was put in a cage normally used for lost
dogs.It came from a farm nearby which a member of the Chipperfield Zoo
owned and ran .

G.Harman