Old 31-10-2013, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Walnuts

On 2013-10-30 23:19:37 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Our own fairly young tree produced about 30 walnuts and we had some
today. Normally, I'm not mad about walnuts because they dry my mouth
and can irritate my throat. But these were white and sweet and
delicious. A treat!

Two weeks age we had to get two new tyres for our car so, as usual,
drove down to Micheldever Station (the worlds busiest tyre shop). We
then went into Stockbridge and had lunch at the White Hart. Next to
where we parked in their Car Park (the one round the back) was a young
Walnut tree and there were walnuts on the ground so we picked up some.
Beautiful, so different to the dry things one normally buys.
Are there no squirrels in Stockbridge and Landscove? My neighbours big
tree, now gone, never had any drop tom the ground.

We do get squirrels but their numbers seem to be down. I remember
Stockbridge from a few visits there when I lived in Surrey. It has very
good trout fishing and a most exclusive, old fishing club, Istr, not
that I had anything to do with either! Presumably, nobody has figured
out a recipe involving trout and walnuts!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com