Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Walnuts

In article ,
On 2013-10-31 17:19:58 +0000, stuart noble said:

I think that's a reference to the brown stain you get from the hulls,
which doesn't wash off. Might make a good fake tan actually

That was a feature of old-fashioned novels. At some point the
hero/heroine dyed their skin with walnut juice to pass him or herself
off as some dashing Mediterranean! I think it might go a bit streaky
in the shower, though! But no, no brown hands here, other than the
remains of suntans.

No, it bonds with the skin. But it comes more from the unripe nuts
than the ripe ones, because the dye is in the flesh outside the nut.
Care must be taken when disguising yourself, otherwise places like
the palms of your hands will darken more than the backs, and that's
the converse of natural colouring!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.