Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default acorn squash

Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

(snip)
this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a google and
found out that its a winter squash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
so that (and the butternut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except for
Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

hmm, well i like scones, so i'm pretty sure i'd like
them with pumpkin in them too...

in the USoA a common November/Thanksgiving/December/Christmas
pie is pumpkin pie, which is a sweet custard with pumpkin and
spices. i think that is where many of us get the idea that
pumpkin and sweet go together. and probably the added fact
that almost any food here in the states is now loaded with
extra sugars/carbohydrates of one kind or another.

it is one of our favorite foods (pumpkin/squash).

as a very young kid (about 2yrs old) i was said to
have climbed the cupboard drawers and sat on the
counter and feasted on two pumpkin pies. alas, i have
no memory of the event, but i do not doubt it as i'd
probably still climb cupboards if i had to...

songbird