Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Roy[_4_] Roy[_4_] is offline

Default still going

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:50:50 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
we have a dozen tomatoes on the counter top left from

before the frosts came along and we were able to get

the rest of the green tomatoes off the plants before

they were damaged.

they may not be as good as a sun ripened tomato, but

they are perfectly acceptable. we've had sandwiches

with them the past week a few times and will finish

them off soon.

the other day i was checking some plants out in the

north garden and found some decently sized turnips that

were planted mid-summer. i was rather surprised at

how large they had gotten. since i can't cook them

here i ended up picking them to give to someone else

the next day and she was very happy to have them along

with some garlic to eat and plant.

i'm still finding acceptable dry beans to pick and

shell, but most are done and already somewhat sorted.

have yet to combine and weigh them. nor have i quite

figured out what to do with all of the crosses that

have shown up. some rather nicely decorative and

worth keeping and seeing if they will breed true or

if they will wander into different types yet before

settling down. garden plots next year will be

interesting to lay out and keep track of what is

planted where.

the largest project is at a holding pattern now as i

have finished most of the digging of the temporary

trench:

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8354_7062_CPE.jpg

180ft of enjoyable exercise, a shovel at a time. the

long pile of dirt is over the trench i put in for the

drain tubes (down 3-5ft for 110ft), those tubes provide

drainage for the fenced gardens and the other low area

to the west of the fenced gardens. the long pile of

dirt will get added to and reshaped next season to

become the berm. until then i hope the trench and berm

will be enough to avert any more floods for the winter

and spring.

songbird

Where are you gardening? Doesn't look like any garden spot that I
would find as ideal.

===