Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

I'm concerned for the future of this group which I've enjoyed hugely
for 16 years. Some have been here longer than that. But given the
number of those who used to post and who lurk (I know of a few, not
many now) the response to the suggestion that we widen our horizons,
look at a blog and consider looking at others and discussing their
content, were - forgive the pun - seeds on stony ground. I don't know
if this is because of disinterest, complacence or a belief that urg
will continue into the mists of time. It won't. Compare it now to what
it was just 3 or 4 years ago. Facebook and Twitter are taking over in
a big way and while I do understand the resistance so many urglers have
to that and had it myself, those are the facts. Newsgroups are dying
as a result. Today, I have seen maybe 2 or 3 posts. The weather is
filthy, few people are out there gardening, nonetheless what has
happened here. Almost nothing. And, depressingly, I've received an
email from someone who says they rarely look at urg now, see fewer and
fewer posts that interest them and will not be renewing their NIN sub.
After all, people, we can't go on discussing when to harvest onions or
plant potatoes, or lily beetle for ever but that is, indeed, what is
happening.

So, I suppose that what I'm saying is that urg has two choices, either
look at fresh material, such as blogs or posts on Twitter from some
very expert gardeners, nurserymen, seedsmen, journalists and discuss
them here, or simply fade quietly into oblivion. If what the majority
choose is the latter, that's fine. It's happening right now, imo and
I'm very sorry to see it. But if the majority want urg to survive, we
do have to think about the big wide world that has overtaken
newsgroups. Really, we do. Before I'm attacked by the usual suspects,
I'd like to say that, either way, it won't affect me that much,
personally. I'll be sorry to see urg go but as long as I can keep in
touch with the friends I've made here, it won't be the wrench it would
have been a very few years ago. If the majority is determined to turn
its head away from gardening blogs, for example, so that we have fresh
material to discuss, so be it. How many more years can we discuss when
to harvest runner beans or plant garlic?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com