Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 06/11/2013 17:50, Sacha wrote:
I'm concerned for the future of this group which I've enjoyed hugely for
16 years. Some have been here longer than that. But given the number
of those who used to post and who lurk (I know of a few, not many now)
the response to the suggestion that we widen our horizons, look at a
blog and consider looking at others and discussing their content, were -
forgive the pun - seeds on stony ground. I don't know if this is
because of disinterest, complacence or a belief that urg will continue
into the mists of time. It won't. Compare it now to what it was just 3
or 4 years ago. Facebook and Twitter are taking over in a big way and
while I do understand the resistance so many urglers have to that and
had it myself, those are the facts. Newsgroups are dying as a result.
Today, I have seen maybe 2 or 3 posts. The weather is filthy, few
people are out there gardening, nonetheless what has happened here.
Almost nothing. And, depressingly, I've received an email from someone
who says they rarely look at urg now, see fewer and fewer posts that
interest them and will not be renewing their NIN sub. After all, people,
we can't go on discussing when to harvest onions or plant potatoes, or
lily beetle for ever but that is, indeed, what is happening.

So, I suppose that what I'm saying is that urg has two choices, either
look at fresh material, such as blogs or posts on Twitter from some very
expert gardeners, nurserymen, seedsmen, journalists and discuss them
here, or simply fade quietly into oblivion. If what the majority choose
is the latter, that's fine. It's happening right now, imo and I'm very
sorry to see it. But if the majority want urg to survive, we do have to
think about the big wide world that has overtaken newsgroups. Really, we
do. Before I'm attacked by the usual suspects, I'd like to say that,
either way, it won't affect me that much, personally. I'll be sorry to
see urg go but as long as I can keep in touch with the friends I've made
here, it won't be the wrench it would have been a very few years ago.
If the majority is determined to turn its head away from gardening
blogs, for example, so that we have fresh material to discuss, so be it.
How many more years can we discuss when to harvest runner beans or plant
garlic?

Come on Sacha,
You know that most of the older members know all there is to know about
gardening and have no interest in bringing in youngsters who are going
to ask dam fool questions and who may one day know more than we do.