Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote...

I'm concerned for the future of this group which I've enjoyed hugely for 16
years. Some have been here longer than that. But given the number of
those who used to post and who lurk (I know of a few, not many now) the
response to the suggestion that we widen our horizons, look at a blog and
consider looking at others and discussing their content, were - forgive the
pun - seeds on stony ground. ...

I think that's mistaken - the reasons were not what you imply.

I agree that Newsgroups appear to be fading away quite quickly now, I posted
to another Ng a few days ago a technical question that 3 or 4 years ago
would have had probably more than 10 knowledgeable replies by now, but I've
had nothing at all.

That is unfortunately true. But the rot started quite a long time
back on the technical groups, when they were taken over by those
fanatics who use abuse as a form of argument. The trolls came later,
and the near-total loss of interest last - there was some causality,
but I cannot be sure of the importance of that.

My understanding is that the old hands have gone to Forums instead but they
don't appear to be my sort of thing from those that I've seen and tried, too
disjointed somehow. I tried one again yesterday to try to get an answer to
my question but didn't like it at all. What they see better there than on
Newsgroups beats me.

No way. That is claimed by the idiots who wanted to "move with the
times" and "be relevant to the modern Web-oriented younger generation".
The University of Cambridge did that for its internal newsgroups, and
the fora are all but moribund. I have seen that in a dozen other
contexts, too.

I came off Facebook because I saw nothing in it only dire security defaults
which most don't seem to understand or even care about, even parents with
children don't seem to concern themselves. Having friends might have helped.
:-(
As for Twitter it sounds like a Tower of Babel which would not be my cup of
tea but I suppose I'll have to try it sometime. Perhaps I'll get into it,
millions seem to.

There is considerable evidence that neither are used for anything
beyond wasting time, idle gossip and so on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.