Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Steve Kind Steve Kind is offline
Registered User

what has changed in recent years?

i'm wondering if you've been cutting the canes back too
early if the season has gradually extended...

have you fertilized at all in this time?

have you cleaned the patio? gotten a new roof?
changed water sources? gotten more shade? etc...

songbird[/quote]

I think you may have hit the nail on the head Songbird - about three years ago we had the patio re-laid as the roots of a silver birch had made it badly uneven. The contractor knew not to damage the roots of the tree (we had the whole area raised 3 inches on cement dabs) but unfortunately, his assistant ripped out a long run of blackberry root before he could stop him I rested the briar for a year after that and hoped it had recovered as it grew it's usual single stem for the next two years.

I have never fertilised it other than to occasionally mulch the one foot square it emerges from with comfrey leaves.

S.