Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 2013-11-06 21:05:43 +0000, David in Normandy said:

On 06/11/2013 18:50, Sacha wrote:
... or simply fade quietly into oblivion.

I suspect this is the likely outcome. I've participated on URG for more
than a decade in a somewhat on and off fashion, but the trend over that
time has been fewer posts and fewer members. A critical mass of
membership / posting is required for any group to prosper, be it on
usenet or a web forum. I think URG is starting to dip below the
critical mass necessary to continue. It is quite sad in a way and I
don't know what the realistic alternatives to it are. There is a lot of
interest in both vegetable growing and flowers / garden design which
begs the question - where are all the gardeners? Are they all diffused
over the internet now, each with their own blogs, their own websites or
posts lost on facebook or twitter? I honestly don't know.

I think the various areas in which discussions can take place are now
so numerous that it's inevitable that something as 'narrow' as urg will
disappear. On Facebook alone, I read 4 gardening groups, each with a
different focus but the majority are very active, even while some are
quite specific in their interests. I think the danger with urg is,
dare I say it, a degree of "it's always been like this", so we all
rather like it, so we all go on this merry way. But truly, without
fresh input, newer and younger members or more interesting/contentious
subjects to discuss, it will do as it is now. Fade.

You're quite right in that the number of active posters has dwindled
alarmingly and I suspect that is because the run of the mill posts are
so repetitive, year after year and no new topics are introduced, or
rarely so. To me, it is very notable that the posts that generate most
garden interest are those where a plant ID is requested. Everyone gets
a chance to cudgel their brains and do what they can to search out
information. We rarely discuss garden design, for example and that is
a topic that could generate enough energy for a year! Good hedging ,
bad container planting, planted wellies good or anathema?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com