Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Cicadas

I have holes appearing all over the place away from trees.
I always thought cicadas laid their eggs in tree bark and the nymph
climbs down and buries itself in the ground nearby ready to climb back
up the tree.
But I planted a mandarin tree recently away from other trees, it now has
a cicada shell on it,the tree has not been there long enough for the
first part of the cycle.
I do not know if all the holes away from trees are cicadas or
coincidence and are giant spiders that appear the same time as cicadas ???