Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 2013-11-07 14:27:30 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Jake" wrote in message
snip

We've enticed one lurker into the open. Any more out there? Please say
hello. We only really bite each other.

I lurk but I don't have experience and having read the comments in this
thread, it has been stated that people without experience are not
welcome, so I think it better I continue to lurk.

I haven't seen that statement but it's certainly not the case at all.
We've had lots of new gardeners coming to urg, often to ask one question,
then go away. But they rarely go empty-handed, so to speak! One or two
people can be a bit snarky with newcomers or those posting through
Gardenbanter but they're not the normal urgler, ime. I would say that the
majority of those of us who are left are on the helpful and welcoming
side, or so I would hope! It's often been stated here that there's no
such thing as a silly question but there may be a few daft answers!

I rarely ask a question but when I have, people have been kind enough to
help. I was just concerned in this thread to read that the regulars are fed
up with new people asking what are (to them) simple questions but to a
newby things they really need to know if they are to learn. Especially if
several new people ask the same questions as they arrive. If you want to
make new people welcome, you are going to get a lot of those simple
questions from beginners. I suspect that is what is happening with folk
from that Banter group. Beginners cannot possibly join in with a discussion
which is beyond their ken. (and which is one reason I lurk). As someone
commented:

"You know that most of the older members know all there is to know about
gardening and have no interest in bringing in youngsters who are going
to ask dam fool questions and who may one day know more than we do."

Well by no means are all the inexperienced people who post asking questions
youngsters! Especially me!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/