Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 2013-11-07 14:27:30 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Jake" wrote in message
snip

We've enticed one lurker into the open. Any more out there? Please say
hello. We only really bite each other.

I lurk but I don't have experience and having read the comments in
this thread, it has been stated that people without experience are not
welcome, so I think it better I continue to lurk.

I haven't seen that statement but it's certainly not the case at all.
We've had lots of new gardeners coming to urg, often to ask one
question, then go away. But they rarely go empty-handed, so to speak!
One or two people can be a bit snarky with newcomers or those posting
through Gardenbanter but they're not the normal urgler, ime. I would
say that the majority of those of us who are left are on the helpful
and welcoming side, or so I would hope! It's often been stated here
that there's no such thing as a silly question but there may be a few
daft answers!

I rarely ask a question but when I have, people have been kind enough
to help. I was just concerned in this thread to read that the regulars
are fed up with new people asking what are (to them) simple questions
but to a newby things they really need to know if they are to learn.
Especially if several new people ask the same questions as they arrive.
If you want to make new people welcome, you are going to get a lot
of those simple questions from beginners. I suspect that is what is
happening with folk from that Banter group. Beginners cannot possibly
join in with a discussion which is beyond their ken. (and which is one
reason I lurk). As someone commented:

"You know that most of the older members know all there is to know about
gardening and have no interest in bringing in youngsters who are going
to ask dam fool questions and who may one day know more than we do."

Well by no means are all the inexperienced people who post asking
questions youngsters! Especially me!!

Oh, I see. I think, knowing that poster, it was a joke about the few
who are not very welcoming, versus the many who are! Ime, most urglers
answer repetitive questions with patience and are usually anxious to
help and advise. Personally, sometimes I find that posts from people
new to gardening are more interesting. They can present a challenge in
terms of helping with design questions, or how to use a garden and
finally, what to plant in it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com