Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Hiding a garage

On 2013-11-07 15:48:28 +0000, Spider said:

On 07/11/2013 13:02, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Steve

It seems to me that if you grow anything substantial down from the
roof, it will eventually block the light reaching the existing vines.
This is apart from (as has already been said) there being very little
sustenance for any plant to grow in up there.

You either have to be patient or, if you really want to grow something
on the roof, have it structurally assessed before setting up a roof
garden. Even the usual roof garden planting (sedums, sempervivums,
etc.) does not hang down, but it will attract bees and other insects.

If your garden were large enough and you had a vacant sunny plot next
to the garage, you could build a pergola along the length of the
miscreant wall, and grow wisteria. That would be a considerable
distraction!

And the other problem with planting to hide is that sometimes it has
the opposite effect and draws the eye! So if a structure such as you
suggest can't be used, something unshowy and evergreen would be best.
I'm a bit concerned that Stephen has planted virginia creeper because
it loses its leaves in autumn and Russian vine - which I suspect might
be the fast grower he means - is a nightmare to control. In fact, he
won't have to worry about anything growing from the roof because
shortly, the roof wil be invisible. This is a cautionary tale!
http://www.gardenersworld.com/blogs/...vine/3220.html
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com