Old 07-11-2013, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 Jake wrote:

It also needs a new domain name. "u-r-g.co.uk" conveys nothing to the
uninitiated.

That's true, though there's little we can do about that as it belongs to
Cormaic.

No problem with keeping the existing domain but adding another which
is more understandable e.g. uk-rec-gardening.co.uk. Indeed I doubt
Cormaic would be bothered by any change in the domain name as long as
we stuck with .co.uk (other.uk options cost more!).

org.uk costs the same as co.uk. If we wanted to change,
uk-rec-gardening.co.uk and ...org.uk are available, as are
ukrecgardening.co.uk etc.

You'd really need forum software such as PHPBB.

Just had a look at that. It *might* just be a replacement for the usenet
group. But, as you say, there are overheads. Is it possible that a new
user could pose a question but not have it published until it has been
"moderated" - as with a moderated newsgroup or mailing list.

I think Cormaic now acts also as a small ISP so the cost to him is
minimal. He said that he's willing to host it free of charge to us as
long as we need it.

Yep. Just checked. He's using Fasthosts as the registrar so assuming
they're not charging some admin add-on, reg fee's only £3.49 a year +
VAT.

That seems to be the going rate just now. I've just registered a domain
for Reading Crematorium Organists (called readingcremorganists.org.uk -
what else?!) for about the same price.

David