Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Hiding a garage

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 11:22:54 +0000 (GMT),

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 10:41:43 -0000, Janet wrote:

Espaliers are not low maintenance and kiwi is not self-clinging to a
flat wall.

We are still thinking about it. As we are disabled we would need to
get some help initially but once in place what does it need apart from
pruning?

"Apart from pruning"! If it gets going, that's a major task - and,
while it bleeds if pruned at most times of year, you often can't
tolerate a year's growth before hacking it back.

That's what we want. It's a big garage to hide and it's well away from
the house.

Kiwi on a wall doesnt behave like virginia creeper and flatten itself
neatly against its support; it does the opposite. It billows outwards
towards the light, and its pretty heavy on the supports, so someone
would have a lot of pruning and training to do throughout the growing
season to keep it as a neat wall covering.

http://www.fassadengruen.de/eng/uw/c..._vine/kiwi_vin
e.htm

Janet.