Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:15:11 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I totally agree!!! I remember snow, but that was lovely too

One of my snow memories is of course sledging in the
recrationground behind our house. Steep hills and
trees at the bottom -Elf & Softy would have a fit
today!.

Mind you I do remember one incident where a friends
big brother did fail to stop and hit a tree, braeking
his leg. Great excitement was had by all as an
ambulance (never saw those much) actually came into
the park, drove across the hollowed football ground to
collect him. Dont remember much about him or the
accident, just the ambulance!

All the hills we went sledging and breaking bones are now covered in
houses. One hill finished up in Hollingworth lake. When it froze in
winter we sledged or walked on the ice. The whole lot made a creaking
noise as we walked across, about a mile. The river that fed the lake
also froze over in 1962/63 winter and the water level dropped as the
flow stopped. This formed an ice cave for us to explore. We were
risking drowning and being crushed at the same time. Extreme madness.
My brothers still live near the lake. They say it has not froze over
for years. Global warming in Lancashire!

Steve