Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Brugmansia scent

On 2013-11-09 10:08:46 +0000, Martin Brown said:

On 08/11/2013 19:14, sacha wrote:
This morning, Ray came in with 3 Brugmansia flowers for me to see. Two
were from the same plant but showed the change in colour as they aged
and one was pretty consistent. I asked him to put the 3 blooms into
water to see if they'd survive but they flopped rapidly and were
consigned to the rubbish bin. They certainly don't 'pick well'! But I
cannot begin to describe the strength of their perfume as it permeates
the kitchen now. And this is while they're quietly shrivelling up in
the bin.

Next time retrim the flower stems with the sharpest possible tool
whilst holding the cut ends under water. Chances are you got air sucked
into the xylem when they were cut off the plant = rapid expiry.

I haven't tried it on brugsmania, but I know it is the recommended
method of cutting flowers for ikebana to maximise lifetime.

The perfume off the best ones is almost hypnotic and can fill the
greenhouse in the evenings. ISTR they were once used to perfume luxury
soap in the days before synthetic chemistry.

You're quite right about cutting flower stems and certainly all stems
should be cut a little before arranging because most have callused over
and won't take up water, or as you say, they have got air into them.
The scent is extremely strong, really almost hypnotic!
Today, I'm off to pick some rosemary to put on the altar for tomorrow's
Remembrance Sunday service. No poppies at this time of year, so
'rosemary for remembrance'. That seems very good-tempered about being
picked and stuck in water!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com