Old 09-11-2013, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Brugmansia scent

On 2013-11-08 22:46:20 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote ...

This morning, Ray came in with 3 Brugmansia flowers for me to see. Two
were from the same plant but showed the change in colour as they aged
and one was pretty consistent. I asked him to put the 3 blooms into
water to see if they'd survive but they flopped rapidly and were
consigned to the rubbish bin. They certainly don't 'pick well'! But I
cannot begin to describe the strength of their perfume as it permeates
the kitchen now. And this is while they're quietly shrivelling up in
the bin.

I remember in Malaya being in a cafe where they had a line of
Brugmansia trees (at 6ft I could easily stand under them) outside and
the perfume , even during the day, was intoxicating

At least you recognised them! In 1984 I was on holiday in Majorca and
didn't recognise a rubber tree because it was so enormous. I'd only
seen them as pot plants! I thought it *looked* like a rubber tree but
obviously I couldn't possibly be right, not for something that height!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com