Old 09-11-2013, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 2013-11-09 19:00:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
On 2013-11-09 16:40:50 +0000, Jake said:

Because I never use the same ID/Password combo in more than one
place,
I use a password manager - mine's paid for but there are several
freebies out there and even the paid for ones are not that expensive.
All I have to do is browse to location x and the manager automatically
logs me in.

Can anyone using your computer do the same, eliminating the
security/privacy benefit of passworded logins?

You probably need a password to log into it.

Give me physical access to your computer for a very short while,
and (with VERY high probability), I could find out all of your
stored passwords. No, I don't know how for Microsoft systems,
but I know how to find out. Could I protect myself against
that? Yes. Do I? Like hell, I do. The only real point in
password protecting home computers is if you have children or
other people who you don't trust.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I was talking to our plumber a few weeks ago. He told us of the sudden
death of a colleague's wife. She ran all their personal and business
affairs from their computer and he had no idea of any passwords. For
weeks he was completely stymied. Our plumber said he was in exactly
the same position. His wife does all their office work and he has
absolutely no knowledge of it. I told him that when my ex-husband
died, very suddenly, his widow and my children had the helluva job
getting into his computer as did the techie they employed. Because of
this, one of my children had recommended to me that I listed all my
passwords and attached that to the copy of my will kept in our safe.
Sounds a good idea to me.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com