Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default still going

Roy wrote:
Very nice...but what State or Province or Country? Looks
like you have an abundance of sunlight but may lack
sufficient natural water resources.

ah, see, i've posted that here before so i figured you
at least knew. i'm in Mid-Michigan, USoA, Saginaw
River Valley.

and no, not lacking water, we have two ditches through
the property that run year round (the one is obvious on
the Way Up picture as it cuts through the property, the
other is hidden under the hedge to the north), a high
water table and plenty of clay. we are also right in
the middle of the watershed flow pattern (from SW to NE).
we do have periods of drought, but the well is good to
hold us over when that happens for watering the gardens.

at some future point i'd like to collect and hold rain
water for garden use and redo some of the rest of the
areas to hold and run water in patterns to build up frog
and toad habitat, but that is long term tinkering with
the site i'm not ready to do yet. when i get the berm
finished along that south edge then i can decide what to
tackle next.

songbird