Old 10-11-2013, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Rye[_2_] John Rye[_2_] is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

Hello All

I thought it was time to add to the confusion. At the time of writing my news
reader tells me that I have 114 contributions to this thread. I can not be
bothered to count how many different authors have contributed, but it has
been a reasonable number. Yes it would be good if more people recognised how
useful news groups were, but the number of contributions suggest that this
group is far from dying. As a retired professional engineer I also follow
some engineering newsgroups, and as an eccentric computer enthusiast I also
follow the comp.sys.acorn set of news groups. The computer ones are fairly
active, but the engineering ones are nearly dead.

I have contributed occasionally and many years ago got to a meeting of actual
urg people.

I write a garden column for our local monthly free magazine and find the
group great for giving me ideas as to what to write about. I have a large by
modern standard garden in Suffolk with a greenhouse and grow most things. I
like growing pot plants particularly lachenalias, and generiads.

One thing annoys me at times about this group, and that is its ability to get
onto a new subject without starting a new thread. For example this thread has
wandered onto "Winters Past" and "Weather Records"

Best Wishes to you all

Long may we continue

John

--