Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Coated Seeds Question

In article ,
songbird wrote:

These are replacement seeds for the first ones that didn't germinate Out
of a whole package of pepper seeds I have 2 that sprouted. I am still
waiting for the
second round of tomatoes. Go figure
MJ

do you use heat pads under the seed trays?

songbird

I'm guessing that these seeds are meant for direct planting. The
coatings are meant to assure germination and/or spacing. IIRC, much of
this pelletizing is done for grain crops, and alfalfa (lucern) which are
then mechanically sown. With that in mind, pelletizing peppers, and
tomato seeds would seem to imply a more ambitious planting than most
gardeners would consider.

Direct planting in the U.S. at this time of year may still be an option
in Florida, but direct planting anywhere else would be severely limited
by soil temperature. Tomatoes, and peppers need a soil temp of about 70
F to germinate, and at least 60 F to grow. Perhaps, "mjciccarel" is
antipodal, and already in mid-spring.

Still, seed coating can also serve as a carrier of fungicides,
bactericides, and insecticides that protect the seed and emerging
seedling. If it truly worked, it would allow me , perhaps, to skip the
sterilizing of my germination soil (181 F/ 20 min.), which I do to avoid
"damping off".

"Ciccarel", does that come with an Italian pronunciation?

Ciao
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg