Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Coated Seeds Question

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:03:48 PM UTC-5, Billy wrote:
In article ,

songbird wrote:

These are replacement seeds for the first ones that didn't germinate Out

of a whole package of pepper seeds I have 2 that sprouted. I am still

waiting for the

second round of tomatoes. Go figure

MJ

do you use heat pads under the seed trays?

songbird

I'm guessing that these seeds are meant for direct planting. The

coatings are meant to assure germination and/or spacing. IIRC, much of

this pelletizing is done for grain crops, and alfalfa (lucern) which are

then mechanically sown. With that in mind, pelletizing peppers, and

tomato seeds would seem to imply a more ambitious planting than most

gardeners would consider.

Direct planting in the U.S. at this time of year may still be an option

in Florida, but direct planting anywhere else would be severely limited

by soil temperature. Tomatoes, and peppers need a soil temp of about 70

F to germinate, and at least 60 F to grow. Perhaps, "mjciccarel" is

antipodal, and already in mid-spring.

Still, seed coating can also serve as a carrier of fungicides,

bactericides, and insecticides that protect the seed and emerging

seedling. If it truly worked, it would allow me , perhaps, to skip the

sterilizing of my germination soil (181 F/ 20 min.), which I do to avoid

"damping off".

"Ciccarel", does that come with an Italian pronunciation?

Ciao

--

Palestinian Child Detained

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Yep Italian by marriage. I am in South Eastern North Carolina. My green house is small enough that I can keep those temperatures through out the winter. Well, as long as it doesn't get crazy cold. USUALLY I have established plants by now and they are much easier to maintain. I have just had a hard time getting anything started this fall. I do have 2 large pepper plants that are still producing and one tomato that is on its' way out. I took a cutting from that at stuck it into a hydroponic pot hoping for the best but not counting on it. That plant still has 8 green tomatoes. I have 6 more hydroponic pots that I hate to have empty. I have some broccoli in one and some onion sets in another. I have lettuce and spinich in pots with dirt and they are starting to take off. It has been really warm here until the last week or so.
MJ