Old 10-11-2013, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 2013-11-09 22:28:20 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I agree that Newsgroups appear to be fading away quite quickly now, I
posted to another Ng a few days ago a technical question that 3 or 4
years ago would have had probably more than 10 knowledgeable replies by
now, but I've had nothing at all.

I think the problem started when most ISPs stopped supporting newsgroups.
On my original computer there was a button on the toolbar which said
"newsgroups" and that's how I discovered Usenet. Then I had to get an
NIN subscription to continue (not a problem) but most new computer users
don't even know Usenet is there as there is no gateway to it. My last
two computers didn't have a ng button for interested minds to notice. but
I've recently bought an old Dell with Windows XP Professional on and it
still has the newsgroup button which I can click on and get the whole
list of newsgroups available, but maybe it's because I have NIN. I
wonder what would happen if I clicked on it and hadn't. At least it is
there.
Unless the ISPs can be persuaded to support newsgroups again and promote
them, Usenet will die and it will be such a loss.
Tina

If you search Google's page of what you can do/access, 'Groups' is
literally the very last thing mentioned. ;-(
--

I can only suggest that we all inundate our ISP's with requests that they
support Usenet newsgroups again.