Old 10-11-2013, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Good year for Chillies

"David Rance" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Went down the allotment this morning and after taking off the cloches
pulled up all the chilli and pepper plants before they get frosted.
Superb crop of Inferno and Thai Dragon chillies with quite a good
percentage red especially the Inferno, the little tiny very hot Tabasco
were mostly red but an absolute pain to pick off the little bushes.
The Bullhorn Mixed peppers did well too, first time we have ever been
successful with peppers out on the plot. If only we had had a decent
start to the summer instead of the plants sulking for a couple of months
they would all have ripened to whatever colour they were, as it was we got
some nice yellow ones and a couple of red ones amongst lots of green.
We froze what chillies we want, gave lots of everything to three Asian
neighbours including one of the Tabasco bushes each to pick their own off.
:-)
The remainder went to our favourite Indian Restaurant again, the lads down
there tell me they eat the Infernos in a salad!

Recommendations (after growing the first two for many years) are...
Thai Dragon Chilli... hot, reliable cropper in the UK.
Inferno Chilli... mildish, large Hungarian Hot Wax type, superb reliable
cropper.
Bullhorn Mixed Peppers... certainly worth trying.

Well, I certainly hope it's a good year for them. Last year mine didn't get
very hot (cayenne and jalapeno) and people here said it was because the
weather hadn't been very hot. This year they're still obstinately green
with only the first two showing any sign of going red. They're in a
conservatory. Is it too late for them to ripen fully?

No, I don't think so. They say if you cut off the bush and hang it in a
shed/garage they all turn red eventually so growing in a nice light warm
place should be OK. I understood low heat is usually down to lack of water
in the two weeks up to harvest.

Try some outside bin the ground next year if you have a sheltered spot in
the sun even better.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.