Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Good year for Chillies

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Rance" wrote

Well, I certainly hope it's a good year for them. Last year mine didn't get
very hot (cayenne and jalapeno) and people here said it was because the
weather hadn't been very hot. This year they're still obstinately green
with only the first two showing any sign of going red. They're in a
conservatory. Is it too late for them to ripen fully?

Not did mine. Jalapeno doesn't get hot, anyway. Last year my Hot
Red was mild; this year it isn't.

No, I don't think so. They say if you cut off the bush and hang it in a
shed/garage they all turn red eventually so growing in a nice light warm
place should be OK. I understood low heat is usually down to lack of water
in the two weeks up to harvest.

That's a popular theory. I am unconvinced. However, there is nothing
wrong with green chillis, though the taste is slightly different.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.