Old 12-11-2013, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default still going

In article ,
songbird wrote:
the past few weeks we've spent a lot of any extra
time making apple sauce and apple crisps for us, and
for others. many gallons worth. and i still don't
mind the smell of baking apples.

Drying apples fiendishly here. Also made a pie tonight, with a crust not
up to marriageable standards (I don't do them often enough to stay in
practice) and I adjusted the "juiciness" down a bit by running the
peeled/cored/sliced pie apples in the dehydrator for a while as I was
(badly) making the crust. Well, most of the pie apples, as it turned out
I ran a couple more apples through the peeler/corer/slicer to have a
pile I was happy with at filling time. The apples were not dry after
such a short time, but it shifted the balance enough that the filling
was a bit less sloppy than it tends to be with all-fresh apples. I can
see doing the same thing in a different way by mixing fresh with fully
dried later on in the year.

Need to find time and energy to plant garlic, pronto. Where from, I have
no idea.