Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default still going

Ecnerwal wrote:
songbird wrote:

the past few weeks we've spent a lot of any extra
time making apple sauce and apple crisps for us, and
for others. many gallons worth. and i still don't
mind the smell of baking apples.

Drying apples fiendishly here. Also made a pie tonight, with a crust not
up to marriageable standards (I don't do them often enough to stay in
practice) and I adjusted the "juiciness" down a bit by running the
peeled/cored/sliced pie apples in the dehydrator for a while as I was
(badly) making the crust. Well, most of the pie apples, as it turned out
I ran a couple more apples through the peeler/corer/slicer to have a
pile I was happy with at filling time. The apples were not dry after
such a short time, but it shifted the balance enough that the filling
was a bit less sloppy than it tends to be with all-fresh apples. I can
see doing the same thing in a different way by mixing fresh with fully
dried later on in the year.

pie crust is not a thing we like here much at all,
instead we mix flour, sugar and oats in equal proportions
and then add cinamon and a little melted butter. starting
at the bottom with a thin layer of the mixture, then pile
the sliced apples on top, then sprinkle more of the mixture
on top and dribble the butter over. bake for an hour to
hour and a half with a foil cover, might bubble over a
little if you put too many apples in. that is the basic
apple crisp we make and eat by the ton when apples are
inexpensive.

Need to find time and energy to plant garlic, pronto. Where from, I have
no idea.

farmer's markets? co-op? they may not have any but they
might know someone who does.

songbird