Old 14-11-2013, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Well that's the end of the Dahlias

On 14/11/2013 09:11, Tahiri wrote:
It is an age old dilemma how and when to lift dahlia tubers, it's almost
like how and when to prune roses.

A very full, comprehensive, and helpful post.
Thanks

I will second that comment and thanks. I am just wondering what to do with
my first ever dahlia. (Bishop of Auckland) It is in a dry sheltered spot
near the house and I was toying with the idea of leaving it in the ground.
How much wet will they stand over winter? (I am a few miles north of Bodnant
Gardens in North Wales)
T.

Impossible to say how much wet they will stand, it depends on the
drainage you have.
If you leave it in and cover it remember the slugs will also have
shelter, and in the spring you will have to put down slug pellets or
they will graze any shoots coming up.
I'd be inclined to lift the plant, pot it up and keep it somewhere frost
free, them start it into growth in the spring and replant it late May .
David