Old 14-11-2013, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tahiri[_2_] Tahiri[_2_] is offline

Default Well that's the end of the Dahlias

I will second that comment and thanks. I am just wondering what to do
with
my first ever dahlia. (Bishop of Auckland) It is in a dry sheltered spot
near the house and I was toying with the idea of leaving it in the
ground.
How much wet will they stand over winter? (I am a few miles north of
Bodnant
Gardens in North Wales)
T.

Impossible to say how much wet they will stand, it depends on the drainage
you have.
If you leave it in and cover it remember the slugs will also have shelter,
and in the spring you will have to put down slug pellets or they will
graze any shoots coming up.
I'd be inclined to lift the plant, pot it up and keep it somewhere frost
free, them start it into growth in the spring and replant it late May .
David

Thank you, David. I had forgotten about slugs!