Old 14-11-2013, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default any prevailing opinion on EM?

On 14/11/2013 10:01, Emery Davis wrote:
Wondering what the group thinks of EM (effective micro-organisms). If
you don't know what this is, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Effective_microorganism. EM is typically used in Bokashi composting, but
also in horticulture and disaster cleanup. It is used by the leading
Dutch Acer producers (Esveld, Van der Maat) and seems to be gaining a lot
of traction in Holland generally. For Acers it is acknowledged generally
to be the best tool against bacterial wilt in young plants.

Like many things, there's a lot of hooey to go along with the science,
and it isn't always to differentiate.

I don't use EM but I might give it a try on young plants.

What do you think?

There might be something in it, but it could be expensive for only a
marginal improvement in strike rate and successful transplanting.

ISTR orchids actually need their symbiotic fungi to survive, and various
other fungi are said to do similar things with and for trees.

There might be something in it. I'd be interested to know how it goes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown