Old 14-11-2013, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default any prevailing opinion on EM?

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:56:31 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

There might be something in it, but it could be expensive for only a
marginal improvement in strike rate and successful transplanting.

Again, EM is not mycorrhizae. It's not a root inoculation, but is applied
as a foliar (and bare bark in winter) spray.

Interesting though, the Acer producers I cited don't use mycorrhizae
AFAIK, although I know of others who do. I assume this is a cost issue,
since young Japanese Acer grafts are only worth around 4-5 pounds,
mycorrhizae would as you point out be an expensive addition. EM on the
other hand can be "brewed" like vinegar, so the cost is very low.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy