Old 14-11-2013, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default any prevailing opinion on EM?

On 14/11/2013 12:06, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:56:31 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

There might be something in it, but it could be expensive for only a
marginal improvement in strike rate and successful transplanting.

Again, EM is not mycorrhizae. It's not a root inoculation, but is applied
as a foliar (and bare bark in winter) spray.

Why spraying anaerobic bacteria at a tree should be expected to do them
any good is a mystery to me. Botulism is a fairly common anaerobe too.

Interesting though, the Acer producers I cited don't use mycorrhizae
AFAIK, although I know of others who do. I assume this is a cost issue,
since young Japanese Acer grafts are only worth around 4-5 pounds,
mycorrhizae would as you point out be an expensive addition. EM on the
other hand can be "brewed" like vinegar, so the cost is very low.

-E

Having looked at your link more carefully I am inclined to think quackery.

About on a par with injecting infusion of garlic juice into dying
horsechestnut trees at £400/year/tree to try and keep them alive.
Another highly questionable treatment being exported out of Holland.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown