Old 15-11-2013, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Greenhouse heaters

On 15/11/2013 12:24, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

I seem to be constantly buying and wiring up greenhouse heaters, came
home
this afternoon and it's lucky I had a new spare in the garage. OK
they do
outlast the guarantee but not by much.
Anyone found an electric greenhouse heater that I can wire into a
separate
thermostat that lasts more that a couple of winters? Preferably not
one that
costs a fortune as some I've seen.

I use a domestic fan heater with a built in thermostat. It is set to
about 10 degrees C. Before the greenhouse it was running in my fish
house fro about 20 years so a relatively dry greenhouse is no problem.

My problem is I also grow a few orchids so the humidity is highish which
tends to rot stuff. I would have thought that heaters advertised as
Greenhouse Heaters would be made to cope with greenhouse conditions but
it appears not so.

I used to be into tropical fish too, had 5 largish tanks at one time and
bred a few species just for the fun of it.

Have you thought of Gas from cylinders (Large red ones)?
These heaters have a thermostat built in and are good, I use several in
conjunction with electric heaters
http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/ca...s/gas-heaters/

David