Old 15-11-2013, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default End of the allotments

On 15/11/2013 17:28, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Indeed. The landowners may have followed the letter of the law, but
hardly the spirit of the law.

If you had more clue about Scottish law you might be in a better
position to pass comment.

To all intents and purposes they have
(allegedly) vandalised or stolen crops et al belong to the gardeners.

You are *completely wrong" (and taking a foolish risk) to assert the
landowners are guilty of theft and vandalism.

It would not have been hard to post a warning at the site to indicate
that development was due to proceed. The gardeners using the site could
then have removed their crops and equipment.

By law (assuming that Scottish law is not vastly different to ours in
this regard),

Wrong assumption. Scotland has its own, separate legislation; the law
here is NOT the same as English law.

there must have been at least one planning notice posted
in the vicinity when permission to build was being sought.

It would not
(as a local) be hard to learn when this permission would run out.

Planning applications in Scotland (at all stages) are public
information, viewable online, or paper copies of the full application at
local libraries.

Assuming this was the case, it might be argued that the gardeners should
have known when the land would be required by the owner/developer.

The garden organisers website states

"From the very beginning, we were aware that the site was owned by a
developer and that planning permission was in place .... We made a
concerted effort to make clear to people who came along to volunteer
that our activities on the site could be terminated at any time."

Janet (Scotland).

If you cannot pretend to have good manners, then I shall not pretend I
have the patience to answer you.
I have better things to do.

--
Spider.