Old 15-11-2013, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Owls

On 2013-11-15 20:58:34 +0000, David Hill said:

On 15/11/2013 19:03, sacha wrote:
They're shouting their little heads off the last couple of nights. We
know a Tawny is usually in the churchyard next door to our house but
this sounds as if three are competing for territory. One sounds as if
it's on our window sill, though we know that's unlikely! Is it the
males only that are noisy at this time of year, or do the females stake
their claims, too?

http://www.godsownclay.com/TawnyOwls...owlcalls1.html
You may find this site of interest Sacha, page 2 has good long
recordings of the calls.
David

I do find it interesting, David, it's a great source. Thank you so
much. It seems that we're hearing the males staking their claims. We
sometimes hear them in day time, too and they were vociferous at about
11pm last night and around 4am yesterday morning. For some strange and
personal reason, I find it a sort of "all's right with the world" sound
- very reassuring that things go on as they're meant to, I suppose.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com